Friday, July 15, 2011

A Little Kindness, Goes a Long Way




This week has been rough. It's been one of those weeks when it seems like I just can't do anything right (EXCEPT for Sara Bareilles...hello front row). I was so happy it was Friday, my week of mistakes was finally coming to an end. I walked out of work, ready to go home and have a successful and productive day when....my car would NOT start. Enter panic mode. I seriously lost it. It wasn't even that big of a deal...but you know, everything had been going wrong all week...I was at my wits end. A couple of hours later and with the help of AAA, I was on my way (with the warning it was going to happen again, unless I brought it into the shop ASAP).

My 'down in the dumps' mood persisted, as I headed out to Hastings to get my fingerprints taken. I walked into the Dakota County Courthouse, still in foul mood although--a little mesmerized by all that was going on. Finally, I found the 'Book and Release' room and met a seriously cheerful officer who would take my prints (maybe she was just happy that I was not a criminal, just needing some prints for another teaching license). Anyways, her kindness and cheerfulness rubbed off on me. It was so nice to talk to someone who was in such a good mood, asking me questions about my move with a smile on her face. I left the Courthouse in a great mood. Because of this officer. How weird is that??? And I kid you not, when I left it FINALLY had stopped raining and the sun came out!

SO they point of my seemingly pointless story....

Is that a little kindness goes a long way. It's important to remember to be kind to those who we interact with, even if you don't have to be or do not want to be. You never know what kind of day they are having, or how your kindness will impact their day. I'm sure this officer had no idea I had been crying all morning, and that her kindness would make me feel better, but it did and I am thankful for it.

Cheers to the end of an awful week-the start of a great weekend-and a wonderful week to come :)

No comments:

Post a Comment