Thursday, September 1, 2011

Where are My Sperrys When I Need Them?

I have really not meant to be so M.I.A. lately! All these new life changes have been both wonderful and exhausting. (please excuse my awful grammar and errors that will likely be in my next few posts...I'm tired people...deal)

Guess what goes along with moving to a new state, and going to a new university? A new culture!! And because I have to use my brain almost all day at work, and in school...I'm going to enlighten you on my favorite aspect of culture here in Kansas, clothing.

So, admittedly I ditched out on grad school orientation, and my Masters orientation (oops!). BUT, did I miss something about a dress code? I mean seriously, I'm walking around campus and EVERYONE is dressed the same. Okay maybe not everyone, but I swear if you went into a classroom at any random time, and polled the students who were wearing some form of Sperrys, I can almost guarantee it would be 2/3 of the class. This school has a serious prep look going on. From what I have observed the guys are wearing chino shorts (preferably in a somewhat pastel color),  a belt (hello, tucked in shirts), a polo shirt/a collared long-sleeve shirt, and a pair of Sperrys. And they travel in a pack, all wearing this same outfit. Seriously. I'll be walking to work and it's like a gang of 25 polo-pastel-chino-wearing-guys are coming my way. Intimidating? No. Intriguing? Yes.

For the girls, the outfit does not hardly varies. They too are sporting chino shorts, a v-neck shirt, skinny brown belt, and Sperrys.  It's crazy, I mean I like this look--I just can't believe how many people I see a day wearing a version of this outfit.

When I was telling the bf about this Sperry phenomenon,  I asked if he thought we all dressed the same at Gustavus? His reply was, "ya...we all wore sweatpants". He's not wrong there. Bless our hearts, we were a scrubby looking crew. At Gustavus, I felt dressed up when I sported a pair of jeans and a cardigan to class. But, if you really think about it, we all had Northface jackets and UGGS. I have SO many pictures of us girls all lined up sporting a Northface and UGGS--maybe that's us northerner's version of Sperrys and chinos?

On a final note...I think I am growing up. I LOVE Sperrys (they are seriously, so cute), but I don't think I'll get a pair. Actually, after seeing EVERYONE wearing them, I don't really want a pair. I can guarantee you that four years ago, after seeing the whole campus wearing Sperrys, I would have already bought them online and  impatiently awaiting their arrival. It's likely I would have even made sure to purchase multiple colors. As much as I think they are adorable shoes, I just don't need them right now...ahem....grown up.






I promise my next blog will have more substantial information. maybe. Also, don't judge if you see me in MN in a month or two sporting Sperrys. I'm not perfect.

Also, ironic that 'boat shoes' are THE thing in Kansas? You decide.

1 comment:

  1. I was just talking to some people about what we all wore during our college days (sounds like we are old or something) and sweatpants were my first thought. I wore sweatpants, along with everybody else, almost every single day. One of the many reasons why I loved that place :)

    ReplyDelete