Monday, March 21, 2011

Lent: The New Diet Plan?


Every year when Lent comes around, I give up a few things. Every year I seem to give up the same few things, food items. For the past few years I have been fixated on giving up sweets for Lent, this year is no different. I have given up sweets and…wait for it…Chipotle.  Truth be told, this is difficult. I have already been presented with a Whoopie Cake (no idea why it’s called that), a trifle, and a random package of Starburst. So far, I Have remained strong, it’s easy enough to reply, “Sorry I gave up sweets for Lent”, and then watch painfully as others enjoy dessert. Chipotle has also been difficult to give up; I am someone who frequents the Mexican grill weekly. And I don’t skimp; I can easily finish my burrito bowl, chips and guac in a sitting.  Although giving up these food items is challenging, I always find myself wondering if I am giving them up for the right reason. Lent isn’t a ‘New Year’s Resolution’. Lent shouldn’t be about eating healthier, and losing a couple lbs, because you gave up some of your favorite food indulgences. Although I’m sticking to no desserts and no Chipotle for Lent, I also am going to do something for Lent. I am going to write down one thing I enjoy about everyday. I am doing this to focus on enjoying life, and also focus on being thankful for the life I live. After a long, hard Minnesota winter, it is easy to get stuck in complaining mode. For this reason I am going to write down at least one thing I enjoyed from each day of the Lent season, to remind others and myself that life needs to be appreciated, because everyday is a gift. 



I will post my list at the end of Lent

No comments:

Post a Comment