Monday, March 14, 2011

5 Years

http://szottfoundation.org/

Starting out the blog on a somewhat depressing note, but this is a day to remember how important it is to live in the moment. Also, I am a bit embarrassed about the quality of this writing. Please don't judge :)



I cannot believe it has been five years since my friend Abby passed away from a rare type of bone cancer. It is hard to describe what I am feeling as I remember her on this day. I feel a bit of guilt—five years, it seems like so much has happened in five years, and it’s just not fair.  I feel a sense of peace; I know she is at peace with God, and pain free. I still feel confusion and anger, the WHY still lingers. I know I should be in the acceptance stage of grief by now, and I am getting there, I really am, she was just so amazing it’s not fair. The one thing that helps me is the thought that she was already done with her time on earth. She was so good and so pure; she already had given so much back to the world. She has inspired many and her time here was done, she was ready to be with God a little earlier than the rest of us, as we strive to have an ounce of her courage and kindness.

Finally, I am overwhelmed with thoughts of a love for life. We cannot take life for granted. As someone who is guilty of selfishly whining about how nothing in life ever goes my way, it’s time to stop. It’s time to stop worrying about how much more money your peers make, or how fancy of a degree others have, or who drives the nicest car and has the most designer clothes.  It’s time to stop holding grudges and start remembering to forgive. Life is so short; it should not be wasted wishing for something better to come a long. It’s time to appreciate a sunny day, the air in your lungs, and the laughter you share with friends and family. Most importantly, it is time to remember what really matters in the end.

Miss you Abby.

No comments:

Post a Comment