Tuesday, October 11, 2011

It's NBD...

After a wonderful weekend home in Minnesota, where I was able to see my amazing family, friends, and celebrate the marriage of a very good friend...MY Monday blew. Seriously, if I could make something go wrong, I did. It seemed that everything I touched at work, I ruined. It seemed that I could not do anything right! I ended last night extremely stressed out. Seriously I could not even sleep. I lay awake just thinking about all the mistakes I made at work, and the possible solutions for fixing them.

Today I went into work feeling a little apprehensive. How much more damage could I do? Before I started today's work I reviewed what I did yesterday (nervous the whole time). IT WASN'T SO BAD! Seriously! I did everything I was supposed to do, there is room for improvement but isn't there always? Besides a technology mistake on my part, really nothing went wrong (and technology mistakes are inevitable people...)

So I guess the moral of this story...cut yourself some slack! Coming from a self-proclaimed perfectionist, it's easy to be super hard on yourself, it's easy to get caught up in what's going wrong, and miss what is going right. But don't, if you feel like you are doing everything wrong, I bet you are not. Take a step back, re-assess, and look at what you are doing right. As a teacher, we have always been told to try and catch our students who cause trouble 'being good'. Don't forget to catch yourself being good, because I bet you're doing pretty great--much better than you give yourself credit for.

No comments:

Post a Comment